Tuesday, 31 July 2007

The travelling fruitpicker

For the past ten years or so I've funded my travels primarily through fruitpicking. Initially I would pick whatever was is season wherever I happened to be, so it all began with apples in New Zealand. Between then and now I've done:

Three apple seasons in Kent, England

Oranges and Mandarines in Gayndah and Mundubbera, Queensland, Australia

Oranges in Hillston, New South Wales, Australia

Oranges in Goodnight, New South Wales

Kiwifruit in New Zealand

Apples in Batlow, Australia

Apples in the Huon Valley, Tasmania, Australia

Rice in Burma, Laos

Nine seasons of Apples, pears, plums, peaches, apricots in Shepparton, Australia


Broccoli, Snowpeas, Zuchini, Rockmelons, Eggplant, Tomatoes, Cucumbers in Queensland, Australia.

I've pretty much given up on the vegetables. Now my partner Jenny and I usually just travel to Shepparton in Australia each year for the picking season there, the money we save there is usually enough to fund the best part of the rest of the year, which we spend most of living in Taiwan,
but that's another story.....

No comments: